Enterprise Application integration refers to the process of connecting different software applications and systems in order to share data and functionality. This can be accomplished through various methods, including application programming interfaces (APIs), middleware, and service-oriented architecture (SOA).
One of the main benefits of application integration is that it allows different systems to work together seamlessly, reducing the need for manual data entry and improving overall efficiency. For example, a company may have separate systems for its financials, inventory, and customer relationship management, but with application integration, these systems can share data and provide a more complete view of the company’s operations.
Another benefit of application integration is that it can provide a platform for innovation and new business opportunities. By connecting different systems and data sources, companies can gain insights and identify new trends that they may not have been able to discover otherwise.
Different Approaches to Application Integration
There are several different approaches to application integration, including:
- API-based integration: This involves using APIs to connect different systems and share data and functionality.
- Middleware-based integration: This approach uses middleware software to act as a bridge between different systems, allowing them to share data and functionality.
- SOA-based integration: This approach uses service-oriented architecture to connect different systems, allowing them to share data and functionality in a more structured way.
Benefits of Enterprise application integration
An enterprise application modernization strategy streamlines communication collaboration and, above all, reduces data silos. Information systems that work standalone do not perform efficiently. Connected enterprise applications are necessary to drive efficiency in the organization.
- Improved efficiency: By connecting different systems and automating data flow, businesses can reduce the need for manual data entry and improve overall efficiency.
- Increased flexibility: EAI allows businesses to connect different systems and applications, enabling them to adapt to changing business requirements and implement new processes more easily.
- Better decision-making: By integrating data from different systems, businesses can gain a more complete view of their operations and make more informed decisions.
- Cost savings: EAI can help businesses reduce costs by eliminating the need to maintain multiple systems and reducing the need for manual data entry.
- Improved customer service: By integrating customer-facing systems, businesses can provide a more seamless and personalized experience for their customers.
- Increased scalability: EAI allows businesses to connect easily to new systems and applications as their operations grow, providing the necessary scalability for future growth.
Implementation of EAI
IT service providers emphasize ensuring stability and control while enabling rather than impeding such developments. Data and standards, business procedures, applications, and platforms are all included in a comprehensive EAI approach. The creation of global data-sharing standards, the streamlining of various entities like tasks and procedures and associated tools, the business-to-business or web integration of numerous functionalities, and the provision of a secure and dependable platform for accessible communication and information transfer are the main accomplishments.
The degree to which an Enterprise Application integration solution is implemented varies significantly depending on the type of business, the firm, the project’s requirements, and the budget. Generally, there are four stages:
This is a database-centric approach where backend data stores are integrated to enable data movement. Data from one database is extracted and updated in another. This is done through SQL queries to load data to a data warehouse or data mart, allowing it to serve various business needs from one location.
This approach is low cost and involves low risk as the original code is not altered. Still, it can mean that data is drawn from many databases and tables, causing problems in keeping the data intact along with associated business rules.
This involves using custom or prepackaged applications to access business processes and information. These applications use an interface to extract information from one application; they convert the data to an understandable format and transmit it to another.
The approach is relatively simple to use and preserves data integrity making it popular.
Because business functions are shared at the application level, the various methods or business logic required to create a business function are also shared at this level. All daily operations are consolidated into a single front application, and all other applications must interface with this front application using Remote Procedure Calls rather than rewriting methods.
The utilization of web services is a prevalent trend for this technique. This method is intrusive since current apps are altered and thus utilized less frequently.
User Level Interface
This level demands using mainframe programs that do not enable database or business process-level access because it does not necessitate changes to the source or target application. User interfaces are used to integrate applications, which are then replaced by standardized interfaces, most of which are browser-based. This method is the simplest, but it is also the least flexible.
EAI is an essential aspect of digital transformation, enabling businesses to connect different systems and data sources to improve efficiency, drive innovation and open new business opportunities. With HazenTech’s EAI services, businesses can gain a competitive advantage by having more accurate data that can be used to make better decisions and improve operations.
Our Enterprise Application Integration services help focus more on bringing different departments together. The purpose of EAI is primarily to eliminate data silos and integrate other applications to generate better business results. EAI is now becoming a priority for businesses that want to make better data decisions and build a connected organization. Get in touch today for a free consultation!
To learn more, get in touch today! Visit Us: Hazentech